One of my biggest peeves in Remodeling and Building are the small things that are so often overlooked.
So here are 7 things you should absolutely consider before approving your plans for construction.
- Furniture size and placement- a scaled furniture overlay of the proposed rooms can give reasonable confidence that your furniture will fit in your new room (s).
- Window placement with relevance to the size of the room, the exposure from the sun and the look from the outside
- Door swings and location in the room – Ideally it should be tight and open against a wall.
- Unnecessary halls – I hate designs where there is just endless valuable Real Estate wasted in hall space
- Insufficient or poorly planned Closet space- you know the kind where you can’t fit more than 5 pairs of shoes or a couple bags
- Poorly planned electrical and location of switches relative to doors, wall space, etc. Otherwise you could end up with switches located in the middle of the wall so you can’t hang a picture
- The Wow factor or focal point in the room. i.e. a fireplace a feature window or a great bed- the prettiest things should be placed for greatest impact.
Clients are so excited to design their new space that simple things are not considered or even brought up. Imagine yourself moving throught your new space and go over each and every point I made above in your head. Or better yet have your Design-Build firm do it for you. If you can consider just a few of these details for every room then your well on your way to designing and constructing more functional and value packed space.
Tell me what your biggest regret in any building or remodeling project was…
Mine was a set of double windows over a soaking tub that were way too high in reference to the tub looked really dumb
Hope this helps with your next project
Till next time Virginia